Scaffolding allows you to effectively support your students as they complete an assessment. While the added management can seem overwhelming, by using Cadmus, you can simplify the entire process for you and your students.
With Cadmus, you can step students through a task by updating the instructions throughout the course of an assessment. While your students have access to all the latest information, Cadmus Learning Analytics give you the insights you need to ensure they’re all on track.
One of the benefits of using Cadmus is that it’s incredibly flexible. You can set up scaffolded assessment tasks in a way that works best for you and your students. If you’re not sure where to start, the example below can give you some ideas.
Abena’s Scaffolded Assessment Design
Abena Jones teaches a 1st-year Geography class with 203 students. Abena wants her students to complete an annotated bibliography to develop their research, writing and critical thinking skills. She decides to do this by guiding her students through a task-based process, breaking down the stages of creating an annotated bibliography into clear steps for her students.
To do this in Cadmus:
- Abena sets up her Cadmus Assignment in the LMS, adding assessment details and key resources, before releasing it to students
- After each week’s seminar, she builds on the assessment instructions, clearly explaining the next task for students to complete
- She updates the Cadmus Assignment instructions and adds new resources through Cadmus. This includes links to writing support services and additional material relevant to the week’s topic
- Abena uses the Cadmus Weekly Reports, to find out how her students are engaging with the assessment
- She keeps students on track, encouraging them to access resources and begin planning within Cadmus
- Students submit a detailed plan for their annotated bibliography through Cadmus
- Abena and her tutors review the submissions through Cadmus and provide individual feedback during tutorials
- Students continue to develop their annotated bibliographies using the feedback they have received
- Students submit their final piece through Cadmus
- After submission, Abena and her tutors grade and deliver feedback to students through Turnitin
However you decide to use scaffolding in your assessment, we’re sure that Cadmus can help to simplify the process.