Lab Report Structure
Structure your report using the following headings for each section.
- Give the Lab Report an appropriate title
- State the issue investigated by the experiment
- Provide some background on the experiment and why it is important (use
- State the aim of the experiment and the methods used
- State the hypothesis
- Outline how you conducted the experiment
- Describe the experimental design, the treatments, and apparatus used
- Describe the procedures and methods used
- Detail how you analysed the data
- Describe your findings - what happened?
- Include relevant graphs and tables to support your findings
- Create these in Excel, and upload them as images to Cadmus
- Discuss your results - why did it happen?
- Make reference to literature where relevant
- State whether or not the results supported the hypothesis
- Discuss any sources of error
- Write a concluding paragraph about the significance of your findings
- Suggest further steps for scientific process
- Add any material that supports your findings (i.e. raw data, results, etc.)
- Add in-text citations for other sources used in the report
- Add an end-text reference list in the References section